She posted her Vegetarian 100. While I’m still trying to catch up to the Omnivore 100. *sigh*
The Vegetarian Hundred :
Strikeout : What I won’t eat
Bold : What I have had
Bold and Strikeout : Have had, never again
1. Real macaroni and cheese, made from scratch and baked – Tanya makes great mac&cheese — Oh dear, I hope you don’t mean I need to make the macaroni and / or the cheese from scratch?
3. Freshly baked bread, straight from the oven (preferably with homemade strawberry jam) — Sure, in a black pot on a campfire, many times.
4. Fresh figs — had a tree at my parents’ home.
5. Fresh pomegranate — at Tannie Lizzie’s place (Esterheim) in Montagu, many moons ago.
6. Indian dal of any sort
7. Imam bayildi
8. Pressed spiced Chinese tofu
9. Freshly made hummus
13. Falafel — takeaway only.
14. Potato and pea filled samosas
15. Homemade yogurt
17. Brie en croute
18. Spanikopita — Aaah yes, the ex used to make these. Took up the whole kitchen and the whole day, but my oh my.
19. Fresh, vine-ripened heirloom tomatoes
20. Insalata caprese
21. Stir-fried greens (gai lan, bok choi, pea shoots, kale, chard or collards)
22. Freshly made salsa
23. Freshly made guacamole
24. Creme brulee — I like the Marie Claire Flavours recipe (Recipezaar link)
25. Fava beans
26. Chinese cold sesame peanut noodles
28. New potatoes
31. Baba ganoush
32. Winter squash — Butternuts cooked, in foil in the coals, in soup (better than straight pumpkin soup), gems cooked, gems in foil on the fire…
33. Roasted beets
34. Baked sweet potatoes — in tinfoil in the coals, oooh yes.
36. Chocolate truffles — there’s a nice chocolaterie outside Tulbagh…
37. Garlic mashed potatoes
38. Fresh water chestnuts
39. Steel cut oats — rolled, yes. Steel cut, no.
40. Quinoa — I’ve only recently heard about this, but it seems the rage on the USA side of the ocean.
41. Grilled portabello mushrooms
42. Chipotle en adobo
43. Stone ground whole grain cornmeal
44. Freshly made corn or wheat tortillas
45. Frittata — my ex used to make these often.
46. Basil pesto — and this, when the basil bushes reached the level of the wall.
47. Roasted garlic — what’s a roast without garlic?
48. Raita of any type
49. Mango lassi
50. Jasmine rice (white or brown)
51. Thai vegetarian coconut milk curry
52. Pumpkin in any form other than pie — in SA we know every form except pie :-)
53. Fresh apple pear or plum gallette
54. Quince in any form — had a tree in the garden at Amperbo.
55. Escarole, endive or arugula
56. Sprouts other than mung bean — all kinds available here.
57. Naturally brewed soy sauce
58. Dried shiitake mushrooms — to give body to veg stews.
59. Unusually colored vegetables (purple cauliflower, blue potatoes, chocolate bell peppersâ€¦)
60. Fresh peach ice cream
61. Chevre — locavore delight.
62. Medjool dates
64. Flourless chocolate cake
65. Grilled corn on the cob — often. We’re South African. We braai!
66. Black bean (or any other bean) vegetarian chili
68. Seitan or wheat gluten
69. Gorgonzola or any other blue veined cheese
70. Sweet potato fries
71. Homemade au gratin potatoes
72. Cream of asparagus soup
73. Artichoke-Parmesan dip
74. Mushroom risotto
75. Fermented black beans
76. Garlic scapes
77. Fresh new baby peas
78. Kalamata olives
79. Preserved lemons
80. Fried green tomatoes
81. Chinese scallion pancakes
82. Cheese souffle
83. Fried apples
84. Homemade frijoles refritos
85. Pasta fagiole
86. Macadamia nuts in any form
87. Paw paw in any form — don’t like it much.
88. Grilled cheese sandwich of any kind — with Marmite! Yeah!
89. Paneer cheese
90. Ma Po Tofu (vegetarian styleâ€“no pork!)
91. Fresh pasta in any form — made lasagna once. I’ll get better if I practiced.
92. Grilled leeks, scallions or ramps
93. Green papaya salad
94. Baked grain and vegetable stuffed tomatoes
95. Pickled ginger
96. Methi greens
97. Aloo paratha
98. Kedgeree — Tanya’s daughter is vegetarian but eats fish. So… yeah. I quite like the stuff. Edit : Barbara meant the vegetarian version, never heard of it. will hafta research & try.
100. Roasted brussels sprouts — Tried it the other night, maybe I need to practice, but I prefer boiled.